- Full name: Mesut Özil
- Date of birth: 15 October 1988 (age 23)
- Place of birth: Gelsenkirchen, Germany
- Nationality: German
Özil is a a third-generation Turkish-German, of Kurdish descent. His father Mustafa, moved to Germany at the age of 2 and his ancestors are from Northern Turkey.
Özil recites the Quran before his matches and has said to Der Tagesspiegel,”I always do that before I go out (on the pitch). I pray and my teammates know that they cannot talk to me during this brief period.”
- Height: 1,81 m
- Weight: 70 kg
- Current club: Real Madrid
- Contract ends: 30/06/2016
- Number: 10
- Former clubs: Previous Clubs: Schalke (2006-2008), Werder Bremen (2008-2010)
- Playing Position: Midfielder
Mesut on his play: “My technique and feeling for the ball is the Turkish side to my game. The discipline, attitude and always-give-your-all is the German part.
- Style: Left-footed, skilful, creative, an impressive flair midfielder.
- Known for: For providing assists for his team-mates. In the season 2010-2011 he assisted the second most goals in La Liga with 17.
- Strengths: His control on the ball is excellent, has great vision and can unlock a defence with his creativity. Also boasts a powerful shot from distance.
- Weaknesses: Sometimes inconsistent, he can go missing and does not have great physical power.
- National Team debut: 12 August 2009, against Azerbaijan.
- Real Madrid La liga debut: 29 August 2010, against Mallorca
- Compared to: Zinedine Zidane and Lionel Messi
Germany Under-21 manager Horst Hrubesch, 2009: ‘We in Germany are prone to rave about foreign players. We praise Wayne Rooney to the heavens, likewise (Cristiano) Ronaldo or Messi. But we have our own Messi. Our Messi is Ozil.’